Friday, July 07, 2006

More Sun Valley Mall Memories


Here's another vintage postcard of Sun Valley Mall in Concord CA. It's postmarked 1974. If my memory serves me well, I'd say this was taken from Macy's in the center court ("Great Hall"). I believe towards the JC Penney end. I just remember the cinema on the corner in the JC Penney court and one of two Anna Miller's Pies in the Sears court. Therefore, this must be the center court!

The back of the card reads "Graceful statuary collected from around the world adorn the two-level mall at SunValley, the world's largest enclosed, air conditioned shopping center."

Visit my review of Sun Valley Mall.

Previous entry

4 comments:

Livemalls said...

Looking at the old pictures and the more updated ones together, it's hard to believe that's the same mall.

Georob said...

The roosters were in the upper level Penneys court at the north end. One of the Anna Millers was directly below on the lower level between the cimema and the ice rink, with a food court directly across the mall. The other Anna Millers was indeed upstairs on the South side by Sears and next to Walgreens.

With the exception of Sears and Penneys, everything I've mentioned is long gone.

Scott Parsons said...

Now it all makes sense. Clearly the escalators are on the right, as they still are today. Thanks for your great memories. You sent me back twenty years with the cinema and ice rink on the LOWER level.
Thanks again,
Scott

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the old pictures of Sun Valley. My mother worked for the Post Office and was the first letter carrier there when the mall opened. I remember going with my dad to meet her at the old food court for lunch. I still miss Monte Rosa Pizza!