Thursday, June 05, 2008

Mervyn's Leaving Alameda Towne Centre


Mervyn's at Alameda Towne Centre (formerly South Shore Center) will be closing its doors on July 31, 2008. Mervyn's had been unable to renogotiate their lease with Harsch Investment Properties, the mall's owner and operator.

Before the ink dried on the press release, another press release was released announcing the arrival of Kohl's at Alameda Towne Centre. You can expect a grand opening in spring 2009.

I've attached an article from the Oakland Tribue, dated September 29, 1972 announcing the grand opening of Mervyn's at South Shore Center on Wednesday October 4, 1972.

Read my guide to Alameda Towne Center.

See the aerial view.

2 comments:

Tupac Chopra said...

On a not entirely related note, Mervyns has also left the Newpark Mall in Newark for a larger location in a nearby power center.

Anonymous said...

I used to go shopping here on my lunch breaks, when I worked in Oakland, just over the High Street Bridge (1995-2001).

As a resident of Houston, TX since then, I miss the mild climate and pleasant sunshine strolls of the East Bay. A lot of those strolls were through this mall.